Editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, beta reading, self-publishing services
On Time Typing provides editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, beta reading, graphic design and self-publishing services across Australia.
We offer a free consultation and quote, and a signed guarantee of confidentiality.
For information about:
- our graphic design services, go to: Graphic design.
- our editing, manuscript and self-publishing services, see below.
Editing and proofreading
Editing publications, reports, websites
On Time Typing edits and proofreads:
- fiction and poetry publications
- non-fiction publications including memoirs, autobiography and academic
- reports, policies and manuals.
We edit and proofread in Word, InDesign, PDF, and online (various programs).
Our text editors are Sally-Anne and Claire. Our image editors are Christine and Christina. For more information, go to:
We have edited and proofread a number of publications. For more information, go to: Our publications.
We have edited and proofread reports and policy suites for:
- Public sector: Department of Education (NT), Department of Health (NT), Department of Justice (NT), Department of Territory Families (NT)
- Private sector: LeasePlan Australia (VIC), Financial Planning company (VIC), Brisbane aircraft company (QLD), David Mitchell Psychologist in Bendigo (VIC); various businesses in VIC, NT and Sydney, NSW (regular clients)
- Universities: Charles Darwin University (NT), Edith Cowan University (WA).
Editing poetry, and coaching in editing poetry
On Time Typing edits poetry collaboratively to produce the perfect poem or book of poems. For information about how we work with you to edit your poetry, go to: Editing poetry collaboratively.
We offer How to edit your own poetry coaching via telephone and on site. Based on our experience, two one-hour coaching sessions is enough to give a poet the knowledge they need to edit their book of poetry themselves.
We also offer workshops teaching you how to edit your poetry. For information about our workshops, go to: Workshop: editing your own poetry.
We offer manuscript (MS) appraisals, or assessments, of fiction, non-fiction (including memoir, biography and autobiography) and poetry MSs. Our MS assessors, Sally-Anne and Claire, are members of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) and qualified to carry out manuscript appraisals.
Our assessor will read through your MS, then review the MS and write a detailed report that assesses your MS against our checklist of issues. For more information:
- go to The difference between beta reading and manuscript appraisal.
- call us on 0419 337 824.
We offer beta reading for fiction and non-fiction (including memoir, biography and autobiography). Our beta readers are aged from 25 to 55. They all live in Australia – in Queensland, Northern Territory, New South Wales and Victoria. Our beta readers are: Adele, Christine, Christina, Kerri, and Natalie.
Our beta readers read then review the manuscript, and write a two to three page report against our beta reading checklist. For more information about the beta reading report, call us on 0419 337 824.
Note: our beta readers are avid readers but are not qualified editors.
For more information:
- go to The difference between beta reading and manuscript appraisal, and What is a beta reader?
- call us on 0419 337 824.
If you have written or typed a manuscript and are ready for the next step of self-publishing your hard copy publication, On Time Typing can:
- type your manuscript; for more information, go to Copy typing services
- assist you with suggestions for either self-editing, using beta readers or a manuscript appraisal; for more information, go to Self-editing your manuscript
- edit your manuscript; for more information, go to The Editor’s role
- design your publication (InDesign); for more information, go to Graphic design
- proofread the designed publication (in InDesign or PDF), prior to the final proof and print: for more information, go to Proofreading hardcopy publications
- oversee the whole publication process from manuscript to printed stage.
Our self-publishing services may include
- explaining the processes of editing and self-publishing to you and providing you with a quote, at no charge
- project planning, obtaining/allocating ISBN, obtaining quotes from printers
- writing timelines and budgets for the publication
- structural (developmental) editing
- copy editing, including line editing and fact checking
- editing or enhancing photographs and images (Photoshop and Illustrator)
- completing Thorpe-Bowker required metadata and self-publisher information
- printer liaison and proofreading the ‘final proofs’, to printed book stage.
We have produced self-published books, from early draft/handwritten manuscript to published stage, for:
- Joannie Sammon (QLD) – memoir (currently being printed; book to be launched October 2019)
- Crib Point Football and Netball Club and Crib Point Cricket Club (VIC); book published August 2019
- Trafalgar Bowls Club Inc (VIC) – published by Peewee Press; book published 2017
- YWCA of Darwin Inc (NT) – published by Peewee Press; book published 2006
- Fokupers (Timor Leste); book published 2001
- ETISC (NT); book published 1999
- AFFET (NT); book published 1996.
For information about our graphic design services, go to: Graphic design.
- Free initial consultation and quote
- Once a quote has been provided and you have accepted that quote, the quoted charges will apply to the work done after your acceptance of the quote
- Our services are charged either at an hourly rate, or at a fixed rate for the whole task (based on the estimated hours for the whole task)
- Call us for a chat or free consultation and quote: 0419 337824.