We offer editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, coaching in self-editing, self-publishing, graphic design and typing services across Australia.
- developmental or structural editing, copy editing and proofreading: poetry, novels, non-fiction (academic, articles, corporate), reports, websites
- manuscript assessment, structural reviews: manuscripts of poetry, novels, poetry, non-fiction (academic, articles, corporate), websites
- coaching: in writing and self-editing life stories (memoir or autobiography), and editing your own poetry
- self-publishing services: we can produce your book from scratch, including scribing, editing, proofreading, graphic design, and printing or e-publishing
- free consultation and quote
- signed guarantee of confidentiality.
We specialise in editing and producing self-published books written or spoken by people who are culturally and linguistically diverse, or living with mental illnesses or other disabilities. (If you are on NDIS, you may be able to use your NDIS funds to pay for your editing, coaching or self-publishing costs.)
We consult with our clients via email, telephone, Teams, Zoom and other platforms. We can also consult face to face (depending on your location).
If you need graphic design (e.g. typesetting or formatting) services (e.g. cover and inside pages design of self-published books), go to: Graphic design.
If you need your manuscript or document typed, go to: Typing.
For information about our editing, proofreading, coaching, manuscript assessment, structural review or self-publishing services, see below.
Editing and proofreading
Editing manuscripts (publications), reports, websites
We edit and proofread:
- manuscripts of self-published books: life stories, memoir, oral history, family histories. Poetry. Novels (different genres).
- academic publications (education, health)
- reports, conference programs, policies, manuals, newsletters
- website content and blog articles
We edit and proofread in Word, InDesign, PDF and online (websites).
Our text editors are Sally-Anne, Claire, Kellie and Elizabeth. Our image editors are Christine and Christina. For more information, go to: About our editors
We have edited, proofread and produced publications for clients in Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, Northern Territory, Victoria and Timor Leste. For information about the publications we have edited, go to: Our experience editing publications
We have also edited and proofread reports, newsletters and policies for:
- NT Government: Department of Education, Department of Health, PTANT, Department of Justice, Territory Families
- Private sector: LeasePlan Australia (VIC), Financial Planning company (VIC), Brisbane aircraft company (QLD), David Mitchell Psychologist in Bendigo (VIC); various businesses in VIC, NT and Sydney, NSW (regular clients)
- Universities: Charles Darwin University (NT), Edith Cowan University (WA).
coaching in writing, self-editing and editing
Sally-Anne Watson Kane coaches early-career writers of all ages and abilities in writing and/or self-editing – fiction and non-fiction. She works collaboratively with writers to work on (self-edit) their manuscript while teaching them the skills to self-edit their manuscripts by themselves. She provides coaching via telephone, Zoom and/or track changes in Word documents. Depending on the person and their goals, if they are an NDIS participate they may be able to use their NDIS funds to pay for these coaching services. Go to: using your NDIS funds to pay for coaching (if this aligns to your NDIS goals).
Editing poetry, and coaching in self-editing poetry
Sally-Anne Watson Kane has been writing poetry since she was five years old, and has been editing other people’s poetry for 20 years. She edits poetry consultatively and collaboratively with the poet. She provides structural assessments and structural editing (of a whole poetry books) and copy editing (of individual poems or a collection of poems).
Sally-Anne has presented an Editing your own poetry workshop, and provides coaching in self-editing your poetry via telephone, Zoom and track changes.
Sally-Anne is co-founder and facilitator of Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG). PEGG meets regularly, via Zoom, to workshop and collaboratively edit one another’s poetry.
Our rates for editing and proofreading are charged ‘per-word’ for copy editing and proofreading, and ‘per hour’ for structural or developmental editing. They are based on the pay rates recommended by Institute of Professional Editors.
For more information, go to:
- Editing poetry and coaching in self-editing poetry: our experience
- Editing poetry collaboratively
- Contact us via phone or email here.
Manuscript assessment or structural review
On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading offers manuscript assessments (or manuscript appraisals), and structural reviews, of novels, poetry and non-fiction, ncluding memoir, life stories, biography, and family and local history.
A manuscript assessment or a structural review helps you self-edit your manuscript to a higher level, so it is ready for copy editing (then either submission to publishers, or submission to a graphic designer if self-publishing).
Manuscript assessment: we assess and provide you with feedback and advice in relation to the structure, style, voice, consistency etc. of your manuscript. We write a detailed manuscript assessment report (and may provide Track Changes comments as well) based on our Manuscript Assessment checklist.
Structural review: we review and provide you with feedback and advice in regard to the structural of your manuscript (e.g. the order including front and end matter and main content, and also on style, consistency etc. if appropriate. We write a dot point review of the structure (and may also provide Track Changes comments).
Note: we do not offer advice in relation to marketing or marketability.
Our manuscript assessors and structural reviewers are Sally-Anne, Claire and Kellie, all of whom are full members of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd).
For more information, go to: Contact us.
Note: if you are interested in beta reading services, we recommend you go to: Australian beta readers.
Self-publishing services (producing your self-published book)
For an overview of the self-publishing process, go to The steps of self-publishing.
On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading provides the below services:
- we can type your manuscript from handwritten or spoken word stage. For information about our scribing services, go to: Scribing publications. For information about our typing services, go to Copy typing services
- we can assist you with advice about self-editing or manuscript assessments. For information, go to Self-editing your manuscript
- we can edit your manuscript. For information about this stage, go to The editor’s role or The different stages of editing
- we can design your publication (using InDesign) – inside pages and cover. For information, go to Graphic design and The procedure for designing a self-published book
- we can proofread the designed publication (in InDesign or PDF), prior to the final press proof and print. And/or we can proofread the final press proof prior to print. For information, go to Proofreading hardcopy publications
- we can oversee and manage the whole publication process from spoken word or handwritten manuscript to printed book stage (as per The steps of self-publishing ). This self-publishing service is sometimes called ‘custom publishing’.
- We provide you with a quote for each stage of the self-publishing service that you need.
Our self-publishing services include
- explaining the processes of editing and self-publishing to you. Providing you with quotes or estimates for the different stages, at no charge
- project planning, obtaining/allocating ISBN, obtaining quotes from printers. Writing timelines and budgets for the publication
- structural (developmental) editing, copy editing, including line editing and fact checking
- editing or enhancing photographs and images (Photoshop and Illustrator)
- completing Thorpe-Bowker metadata and self-publisher information
- managing e-publication process or Print On Demand process
- printer liaison and proofreading the ‘final proofs’, to printed book stage.
We have produced self-published books, from spoken word, early draft or handwritten manuscript stage, to self-published hardcopy book, for:
- Garry Chippindal (VIC) (dec) – Hold Your Head Up High, memoir, 440 pp; self-published by his daughter Sally Barllee April 2021
- Shirley Reynolds (SA) – My Story, memoir, 100 pp; self-published by Shirley Reynolds December 2020
- Joannie Sammon (QLD) – I Am What I Am, memoir, 140 pp; custom published for J Sammon by Peewee Press October 2019
- Crib Point Football and Netball Club and Crib Point Cricket Club (VIC) – Riding the Bumps with a Grin – At Crib Point!, history of club, 440 pp; self-published August 2019
- Trafalgar Bowls Club Inc (VIC) – 100 Up – From Here to Here, history of club, 200 pp; custom published by Peewee Press 2017
- YWCA of Darwin Inc (NT) – Sharing Our Stories, compilation of women’s stories; custom published by Peewee Press, 2006
- Fokupers (Timor Leste) – two compilations of women’s stories – Buibere volume 1 and Builbere volume 2; self-published 2001
- ETISC (NT) – compilation of East Timorese testimonies and interviews; self-published 1999
- AFFET (NT) – Children of the Resistance, stories of East Timor; self-published 1996.
Charges for the above services
- Free initial consultation and quote
- Once a quote has been provided and you have accepted that quote, the quoted charges will apply to the work done after your acceptance of the quote
- Our services are charged either at an hourly rate, or at a fixed rate for the whole task (based on the estimated hours for the whole task)
- For self-publishing services or custom publishing we tend to offer one quote per each stage of the service being provided. However, we can provide an initial rough estimate for the whole service.
- Call us via telephone, or send us an email, for a chat via phone or Zoom, or a free consultation and quote: Contact us.