We offer editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, coaching in self-editing, self-publishing, graphic design and typing services across Australia.
- editing and proofreading: poetry, fiction, non-fiction, reports, websites
- manuscript assessment: manuscripts of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, websites
- coaching: in self-editing poetry, and memoirs
- self-publishing services: assisting in self-publishing memoirs and poetry books
- free consultation and quote
- signed guarantee of confidentiality.
We specialise in editing and producing self-published books written or spoken by people who are culturally and linguistically diverse, or living with mental illnesses or other disabilities. (If you are on NDIS, you can use your NDIS funds to pay for your editing, coaching or self-publishing costs.)
We consult with most of our clients via email, telephone, Zoom and other platforms. We can also consult face to face (depending on your location).
If you need graphic design (e.g. typesetting or formatting) services (e.g. cover and inside pages design of self-published books), go to: Graphic design.
If you need your manuscript typed, go to: Copy typing.
If you are interested in our editing, proofreading, coaching in self-editing, manuscript assessment, or self-publishing services, see below.
Editing and proofreading
Editing publications, reports, websites
We edit and proofread:
- manuscripts of self-published books: life stories, memoir, oral history, family histories. Poetry. Novels (different genres).
- academic publications (education, health)
- reports, conference programs, policies, manuals, newsletters
- website content and blog articles
We edit and proofread in Word, InDesign, PDF and online (websites).
Our text editors are Sally-Anne, Claire, Kellie and Elizabeth. Our image editors are Christine and Christina. For more information, go to: About our editors
We have edited, proofread and produced publications for clients in Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, Northern Territory, Victoria and Timor Leste. For information about the publications we have edited, go to: Our experience editing publications
We have also edited and proofread reports, newsletters and policies for:
- NT Government: Department of Education, Department of Health, PTANT, Department of Justice, Territory Families
- Private sector: LeasePlan Australia (VIC), Financial Planning company (VIC), Brisbane aircraft company (QLD), David Mitchell Psychologist in Bendigo (VIC); various businesses in VIC, NT and Sydney, NSW (regular clients)
- Universities: Charles Darwin University (NT), Edith Cowan University (WA).
coaching in self-editing manuscripts
Sally-Anne Watson Kane coaches early-career writers of all ages (including children) in how to self-edit their manuscripts. She works collaboratively with writers to edit their manuscript together, while teaching them the skills to self-edit their manuscripts by themselves. She provides this coaching via telephone and/or Zoom. She is currently (in 2021) working closely with one young adult with disabilities, and one older person with disabilities, coaching them in self-editing their memoir manuscripts to the stage where their manuscripts will be ready for copy editing, then design and self-publishing.
Editing poetry, and coaching in self-editing poetry
Sally-Anne Watson Kane has been writing poetry since she was five years old, and has been editing other people’s poetry for the past 20 years.
Sally-Anne presents and facilitates her Editing your own poetry workshop, and offers How to edit your own poetry coaching via telephone and Zoom.
Sally-Anne is co-founder and facilitator of Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG), which meets every two months to workshop and collaboratively edit their poetry.
For more information, go to:
- Editing poetry and coaching in self-editing poetry: our experience
- Editing poetry collaboratively
- Contact us via phone or email here.
On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading offers manuscript assessments (or manuscript appraisals) of novels, poetry and non-fiction (including memoir, life stories, biography and history).
The goal of our manuscript assessment is to provide you with feedback and advice (in relation to the structure, style, voice, consistency etc. of your manuscript), to help you produce a high-quality manuscript that is ready for copy editing, then either submission to publishers, or self-publishing.
Note: we do not offer advice in relation to marketing or marketability.
Our manuscript assessors, Sally-Anne, Claire and Kellie, are full members of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd).
Our assessor reads through and reviews your manuscript, and writes a detailed manuscript assessment report based on our Manuscript Assessment Checklist.
For more information, go to:
- The difference between beta reading and manuscript appraisal
- Our Poetry Book Manuscript Appraisal Checklist
- Contact us.
Note: if you are interested in beta reading services, we recommend you go to: Australian beta readers.
For an overview of the self-publishing process, go to The steps of self-publishing.
On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading provides the below services:
- we can type your manuscript; for more information, go to Copy typing services
- we can assist you with advice about self-editing or manuscript assessments; for more information, go to Self-editing your manuscript
- we can edit your manuscript; for more information about this stage, go to The editor’s role or The different stages of editing
- we can design your publication (InDesign); for more information, go to Graphic design or The procedure for designing a self-published book
- we can proofread the designed publication (in InDesign or PDF), prior to the final proof and print: for more information, go to Proofreading hardcopy publications
- we can oversee the whole publication process from manuscript to printed stage (as per The steps of self-publishing. )
Our self-publishing services may include
- explaining the processes of editing and self-publishing to you. Providing you with quotes or estimates for the different stages, at no charge
- project planning, obtaining/allocating ISBN, obtaining quotes from printers. Writing timelines and budgets for the publication
- structural (developmental) editing, copy editing, including line editing and fact checking
- editing or enhancing photographs and images (Photoshop and Illustrator)
- completing Thorpe-Bowker metadata and self-publisher information
- managing e-publication process or Print On Demand process
- printer liaison and proofreading the ‘final proofs’, to printed book stage.
We have produced self-published books, from early draft or handwritten manuscript stage, to self-published hardcopy book, for:
- Shirley Reynolds (SA) – memoir, 100 pp; self-published by Shirley Reynolds December 2020
- Joannie Sammon (QLD) – memoir, 140 pp; self-published for J Sammon by Peewee Press October 2019
- Crib Point Football and Netball Club and Crib Point Cricket Club (VIC) – history of club, 440 pp; self-published August 2019
- Trafalgar Bowls Club Inc (VIC) – history of club, 200 pp; self-published by Peewee Press 2017
- YWCA of Darwin Inc (NT) – compilation of women’s stories; self-published by Peewee Press, 2006
- Fokupers (Timor Leste) – two compilations of women’s stories; self-published 2001
- ETISC (NT) – compilation of East Timorese testimonies and interviews; self-published 1999
- AFFET (NT) – stories of East Timor; self-published 1996.
Charges for the above services
- Free initial consultation and quote
- Once a quote has been provided and you have accepted that quote, the quoted charges will apply to the work done after your acceptance of the quote
- Our services are charged either at an hourly rate, or at a fixed rate for the whole task (based on the estimated hours for the whole task)
- Call us via telephone, or send us an email, for a chat or free consultation and quote: Contact us.