Editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, beta reading, self-publishing
- editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, beta reading, graphic design and self-publishing services across Australia
- a free consultation and quote
- a signed guarantee of confidentiality.
We specialise in editing and producing self-published books – memoir, poetry, history, fiction and non-fiction – by people who are First Australians, culturally and linguistically diverse, or living with mental illnesses or other disabilities.
For information about our graphic design services, go to: Graphic design.
For information about our editing, proofreading and self-publishing services, see below.
Editing and proofreading
Editing publications, reports, websites
We edit and proofread:
- fiction and poetry manuscripts or publications
- non-fiction including life stories, memoir, autobiography, oral history, local history, and academic (education, health) manuscripts or publications
- corporate reports, conference programs, policies and manuals.
We edit and proofread in Word, InDesign, PDF and online (various programs).
Our text editors are Sally-Anne and Claire. Our image/photo editors are Christine and Christina. For more information, go to: About our editors
We have edited and proofread publications for organisations and individuals in Gold Coast, Queensland; Sydney, New South Wales; Darwin, Northern Territory; Melbourne, Gippsland and Mornington Peninsula, Victoria; and Timor Leste. For more information about this experience, go to: editing publications
We have edited and proofread reports and policies for:
- Public sector: Department of Education (NT), Department of Health (NT), Department of Justice (NT), Department of Territory Families (NT)
- Private sector: LeasePlan Australia (VIC), Financial Planning company (VIC), Brisbane aircraft company (QLD), David Mitchell Psychologist in Bendigo (VIC); various businesses in VIC, NT and Sydney, NSW (regular clients)
- Universities: Charles Darwin University (NT), Edith Cowan University (WA).
Editing poetry, and coaching in editing your own poetry
Sally-Anne Watson Kane has been writing poetry since early childhood, and editing others’ poetry for the past 10 years. She uses a collaborative method of editing poetry to produce, with the poet, the perfect poem/book of poems.
Sally-Anne is co-founder and facilitator of Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG), which meets regularly to collaboratively edit their poetry.
Sally-Anne offers How to edit your own poetry coaching, via telephone or on site. For information about our approach to editing poetry, go to: Editing poetry collaboratively.
Sally-Anne presents and facilitates workshops in Editing your own poetry.
On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading offers manuscript assessments (or manuscript appraisals) of fiction, non-fiction (including memoir, life stories, biography, history and autobiography), and poetry.
Our manuscript assessors, Sally-Anne and Claire, are members of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd).
Our assessor reads through then reviews your manuscript, and writes a detailed manuscript assessment report based on the On Time Manuscript Assessment Checklist. For more information, go to:
We offer beta reading for fiction and non-fiction (including memoir, history, biography and autobiography).
Our beta readers are aged from 25 to 65. They all live in Australia. For more information about our beta readers and where they live, go to: Our beta readers.
Our beta reader reads and reviews your manuscript then writes a two to four page report against the On Time Beta Reading Checklist.
For more information, go to:
If you have written or typed a manuscript and are ready for the next step of self-publishing your hard copy publication, On Time Typing can:
- type your manuscript; for more information, go to Copy typing services
- assist you with suggestions for either self-editing, using beta readers or a manuscript appraisal; for more information, go to Self-editing your manuscript
- edit your manuscript; for more information, go to The Editor’s role
- design your publication (InDesign); for more information, go to Graphic design
- proofread the designed publication (in InDesign or PDF), prior to the final proof and print: for more information, go to Proofreading hardcopy publications
- oversee the whole publication process from manuscript to printed stage.
Our self-publishing services may include
- explaining the processes of editing and self-publishing to you and providing you with a quote, at no charge
- project planning, obtaining/allocating ISBN, obtaining quotes from printers
- writing timelines and budgets for the publication
- structural (developmental) editing
- copy editing, including line editing and fact checking
- editing or enhancing photographs and images (Photoshop and Illustrator)
- completing Thorpe-Bowker required metadata and self-publisher information
- printer liaison and proofreading the ‘final proofs’, to printed book stage.
We have produced self-published books, from early draft/handwritten manuscript to hardcopy publication (and book launch), for:
- Joannie Sammon (QLD) – memoir, 140 pp; self-published by Peewee Press October 2019
- Crib Point Football and Netball Club and Crib Point Cricket Club (VIC) – history of club, 440 pp; self-published August 2019
- Trafalgar Bowls Club Inc (VIC) – history of club, 200 pp; self-published by Peewee Press 2017
- YWCA of Darwin Inc (NT) – compilation of women’s stories; self-published by Peewee Press, 2006
- Fokupers (Timor Leste) – two compilations of women’s stories; self-published 2001
- ETISC (NT) – compilation of East Timorese testimonies and interviews; self-published 1999
- AFFET (NT) – stories of East Timor; self-published 1996.
Graphic design services
Go to: Graphic design.
- Free initial consultation and quote
- Once a quote has been provided and you have accepted that quote, the quoted charges will apply to the work done after your acceptance of the quote
- Our services are charged either at an hourly rate, or at a fixed rate for the whole task (based on the estimated hours for the whole task)
- Call us for a chat or free consultation and quote: 0419 337824.