Editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, beta reading, self-publishing
- editing, proofreading, manuscript appraisal, beta reading, graphic design, formatting, typing and self-publishing services across Australia
- a free consultation and quote
- a signed guarantee of confidentiality.
We specialise in editing and producing self-published books – memoir, oral history, Australian history, novels – by people who are culturally and linguistically diverse, or living with mental illnesses or other disabilities.
Note: we are committed to meeting all COVID-19 social distancing requirements and advice. At this time, we work and communicate with all our clients remotely: via email, Zoom, telephone and other platforms. For more information go to Staying safe in a COVID-19 world.
For information about our graphic design and formatting services, go to: Graphic design.
For information about our typing services, go to: Copy typing.
For information about our editing, proofreading, self-publishing, manuscript appraisal and beta reading services, see below.
Editing and proofreading
Editing publications, reports, websites
We edit and proofread:
- publications/manuscripts: novels (different genres) and poetry anthologies
- publications/manuscripts: life stories, memoir, oral history, Australian history, local history, and academic (education, health)
- corporate reports, conference programs, policies, manuals, websites.
We edit and proofread in Word, InDesign, PDF and online (websites).
Our editors are Sally-Anne and Claire. Our graphic designers (image/photo editors) are Christine and Christina. For more information, go to: About our editors
We have edited, proofread and produced publications for organisations and individuals in Queensland, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Victoria and Timor Leste. For more information about the publications we have edited, go to: editing publications
We have edited and proofread reports, newsletters and policies for:
- NT Government: Department of Education, Department of Health, PTANT, Department of Justice, Territory Families
- Private sector: LeasePlan Australia (VIC), Financial Planning company (VIC), Brisbane aircraft company (QLD), David Mitchell Psychologist in Bendigo (VIC); various businesses in VIC, NT and Sydney, NSW (regular clients)
- Universities: Charles Darwin University (NT), Edith Cowan University (WA).
Editing poetry, and coaching in self-editing poetry
Sally-Anne Watson Kane has been writing poetry since she was five years old, and has been editing others’ poetry for the past 10 years. She uses a collaborative method of editing poetry to help produce the perfect poem, or book of poems. For more information, go to: Editing poetry collaboratively.
Sally-Anne is co-founder and facilitator of Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG), which meets every three months to workshop and collaboratively edit their poetry.
Sally-Anne presents and facilitates workshops in Editing your own poetry, and offers How to edit your own poetry coaching via telephone.
On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading offers manuscript assessments (or manuscript appraisals) of novels, poetry and non-fiction (including memoir, life stories, biography and history).
Our manuscript assessors, Sally-Anne and Claire, are full members of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd).
Our assessor reads through and reviews your manuscript, and writes a detailed manuscript assessment report based on our Manuscript Assessment Checklist. For more information, or to ask about our checklist, go to:
We offer beta reading for novels, poetry and non-fiction (including memoir, history, biography and autobiography).
Our beta readers are aged from 25 to 65. They all live in Australia. For more information about our beta readers and where they live, go to: Our beta readers.
Our beta reader reads and reviews your manuscript, and writes a two to four page report based on our Beta Reading Checklist.
For more information, or to ask about our beta reading checklist, go to:
- The difference between beta reading and manuscript appraisal
- What is a beta reader?
- Poetry Book Beta Reading Checklist
- Contact us.
If you have written or typed a manuscript and are ready for the next step of self-publishing, On Time Typing can:
- type your manuscript; for more information, go to Copy typing services
- assist you with suggestions for either self-editing, using beta readers or a manuscript appraisal; for more information, go to Self-editing your manuscript
- edit your manuscript; for more information, go to The Editor’s role
- design your publication (InDesign); for more information, go to Graphic design
- proofread the designed publication (in InDesign or PDF), prior to the final proof and print: for more information, go to Proofreading hardcopy publications
- oversee the whole publication process from manuscript to printed stage.
Our self-publishing services may include
- explaining the processes of editing and self-publishing to you and providing you with a quote, at no charge
- project planning, obtaining/allocating ISBN, obtaining quotes from printers
- writing timelines and budgets for the publication
- structural (developmental) editing
- copy editing, including line editing and fact checking
- editing or enhancing photographs and images (Photoshop and Illustrator)
- completing Thorpe-Bowker metadata and self-publisher information
- printer liaison and proofreading the ‘final proofs’, to printed book stage.
We have produced self-published books, from early draft or handwritten manuscript stage, to self-published hardcopy book, for:
- Joannie Sammon (QLD) – memoir, 140 pp; self-published for J Sammon by Peewee Press October 2019
- Crib Point Football and Netball Club and Crib Point Cricket Club (VIC) – history of club, 440 pp; self-published August 2019
- Trafalgar Bowls Club Inc (VIC) – history of club, 200 pp; self-published by Peewee Press 2017
- YWCA of Darwin Inc (NT) – compilation of women’s stories; self-published by Peewee Press, 2006
- Fokupers (Timor Leste) – two compilations of women’s stories; self-published 2001
- ETISC (NT) – compilation of East Timorese testimonies and interviews; self-published 1999
- AFFET (NT) – stories of East Timor; self-published 1996.
Graphic design services, or typing services
Charges for editing, proofreading and self-publishing services
- Free initial consultation and quote
- Once a quote has been provided and you have accepted that quote, the quoted charges will apply to the work done after your acceptance of the quote
- Our services are charged either at an hourly rate, or at a fixed rate for the whole task (based on the estimated hours for the whole task)
- Call us via telephone, or send us an email, for a chat or free consultation and quote: Contact us.