Typing, Formatting, Resumes
The formatting of my report is all over the place. Can you fix it?
Yes, we can. On Time Typing’s graphics designer/editor Richard Powell is very experienced in trouble shooting and resolving complex formatting problems and restructuring documents.
We first ask to view the report so we can determine whether it requires ‘basic’ or ‘complex’ formatting corrections. We estimate how many hours it will take to complete and provide you with a quote for the total charge that meets your timeline.
I need something typed today. Can you help?
We may be able to complete your typing the same day, depending on:
- How many hours your task is going to take to do
- What sort of task it is e.g. basic copy typing, audio transcription, scribing
- Whether or not our typists have other commitments that day
- Whether or not the deadline can be ‘after hours’
If you need something typed urgently, give us a call and we’ll do our best to give you what you need.
Do you write job applications?
Unlike some businesses, we do not offer to write your job application for you.
However, upon request, we can scribe what you say to draft your application, and work with you to edit and produce the job application.
First we clarify what you need and share our knowledge with you free of charge. If you still need assistance we then provide you with a quote for helping you produce your job application.
If you would like us to scribe your application ‘as you speak it’
We will consult with you to ask you some questions and whilst doing so, scribe your 1st draft job application, addressing each of the selection criteria in the job description. If necessary, we will prompt you to provide more relevant examples or further evidence of your claims. We will then work with you to further edit and improve your application ensuring, however, that you have input into that process. Once you are happy with the application, we will proofread and submit it to you.
If you have written your application and would like us to ‘tidy it up’ for you
If you have written your application to ‘as good as you can get it’ and would like us to proofread it for you, we are happy to do this at the quoted rate.
However, first we need to view the application to make sure it needs proofreading, not editing. If it needs editing work, we consult with you to explain what is required and then edit your job application with you, to ensure you play a major part in writing your application. Upon request, we then proofread it for you.
Free consultation and advice
If you would like to write your job application yourself but would like some suggestions to help you get started, we explain how to write a job application. We are happy to share this information to help you write your application yourself, free of charge. It’s all part of the service.
Do you do resumes?
Yes. We write, edit, proofread and/or format resumes. We first consult with you either via telephone or face to face to discuss the position for which you are applying and the level of detail and type of information required, give you some idea of how long it will take to produce (or amend) your resume, and provide you with a quote. Then:
- If you have a hardcopy resume that you need copy typed, we consult with you to ensure that the original resume contains all the required information and add any other information necessary. We ask you to confirm whether you would like your new resume to be presented the same as the original or in a different format.
- If you have a copy of your resume on the computer that needs to be updated, we arrange an appointment for a telephone consultation. During that consultation, we scribe the required corrections into the document as you speak. If you agree we may also reformat your resume.
- If you do not have a previous resume at all, we will arrange an appointment for a telephone consultation. We ask you to think about your qualifications and the relevant skills you have to offer, any previous studies including the dates of study, previous positions and the dates of that employment. During the consultation, we ask you to give those details whilst we scribe as you speak to draft your resume. Afterwards, we edit the document to produce a well-presented resume.
- After typing, scribing and/or editing the document, we will proofread and submit the resume to you by the agreed deadline.
Can you type my handwritten poems/stories?
Yes. In fact, we would love to.
- We clarify whether you would like the words and stanzas/paragraphs to be typed exactly as you have written them, or the words to be spelt exactly as you have spelt them; or whether you would like us to edit/correct the documents as we type.
- After confirming exactly what you need we provide you with a quote for typing and/or editing the handwritten document.
- We can either copy type your handwritten documents, or scribe as you read out your documents either via telephone or on site (depending where you live). Either way, we type a document that faithfully represents your written words (either ‘as is’ or edited, as requested).
- If we do not have an office located near you and you would like us to copy typing your documents, you can either scan your written documents and send them to us via email, or mail them to us by registered post.
Note: if your poems or stories are written by you and you intend to publish them, they will need some level of editing by an editor. Sally-Anne Watson Kane is particularly good at editing creative fiction and poetry in such a way that the author’s voice is retained and, with the author’s permission, their intended meaning clarified.