I’m looking for work – do you need any typists?
On Time Typing has a team of audio transcriptionists, scribes, typists and editors.
Good scribes – that is, people who can accurately scribe minutes of meetings, straight into a laptop – are quite a rare breed. If you believe you are a good scribe, and you have plenty of maturity and experience, I’d be happy for you to contact me to tell me about yourself.
Due to ongoing demand for transcripts, we always welcome queries from good quality audio transcriptionists in Australia. If you have the following attributes and experience, please email us your resume and application addressing the below criteria. However, please do not apply if you don’t have the below attributes.
- You are a contractor or freelancer with your own ABN and live permanently in Australia
- You have a broad vocabulary and above-average knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling
- You are very experienced in dealing with material that is highly confidential and maintaining confidentiality
- You have a very good ‘ear’ for transcribing recordings of interviews and discussions; at least ten years’ audio transcription experience within Australia; experience in transcribing recorded interviews and group discussions; and experience in transcribing recordings of people from non-English speaking backgrounds
- You have your own office and computer equipment in a separate, private room in your home. You have audio transcription software and Word 2010
- You can provide the contact details of two recent referees to verify your relevant experience, accuracy, experience in handling confidential material, and reliability.
Please check our News page to see whether we are currently seeking a typist with specific skills or in a specific location.
How much do you charge?
There is no charge for any initial consultation, or for later consultations for which we advise you there is no charge.
In an initial consultation, we will describe our services to you and either provide you with a verbal quote, or share with you all the information we can about the subject of your query (e.g. writing, editing, proofreading or publishing) free of charge. Depending on the nature of your query, we may offer you other consultations/discussions without charge; or we may advise you that we will need to charge for any subsequent consultations and provide you with a quote.
If you accept our quote and request a charged consultation, we will charge you the quoted rate for the next consultation.
Audio transcription/transcript production
We charge a fixed rate per audio minute for transcribing audio recordings into transcripts. The rate quoted and charged depends on the type of transcript required (1st Draft Transcript or Proofread Transcript), your preferred timeline, whether the audio recordings are clearly audible, the number of speakers in each recording and a few other factors.
We first ask you to answer a few questions about your recordings including the number of audio minutes or hours you need transcribed. If you can give us these details, we can give you an exact quote for transcribing your recordings. If you can’t give us all the details, we can at least give you a general quote and per-audio-minute rate.
Scribing and producing selection reports
The charges for transcribing selection reports are based on a flat rate for writing and editing each individual report and different sections of the selection report, and an hourly rate for transcribing interviews, panels’ discussions and/or referees’ reports. We can provide you with an estimated total cost of scribing your interview reports.
Scribing dictated reports or correspondence
The charges for scribing and writing documents that you have dictated via telephone, or on site, are based on an hourly rate charged for the hours of scribing and editing required. After we have clarified exactly what you need, we will provide you with an estimate for the total cost of scribing your reports or correspondence.
The charges for scribing recordings of dictation into documents are based on our quoted per-audio-minute rate, plus (if required) any further editing required. Upon request we will send you a quote for transcribing recorded dictated reports.
Scribing minutes of meetings
The charges for scribing and writing minutes of meetings, workshops or other events are based on an hourly rate for scribing, writing, editing and proofreading minutes and/or transcripts of meetings. After we have clarified exactly what you need, we provide you an estimate for the total cost of scribing your minutes and/or transcripts which are based on the expected number of scribing and editing hours.
Copy typing documents
Our quotes for copy typing hardcopy typed documents where the documents are very straightforward are based on a charge ‘per typed page’.
Our quotes for copy typing complex documents (including tables, tables of contents or footnotes), or copy typing handwritten documents, are based on how long we estimate it would take us to complete the project and our hourly copy typing rate.
Once we have clarified exactly what you need, we provide you with an exact quote for the total cost of typing your documents.
The only exception to this is where the task is must be charged at the hourly rate and it is not possible to provide a quote for the total task.
Formatting or restructuring documents
Formatting and restructuring documents is charged at an hourly rate that depends on the complexity of the tasks required. After we have clarified exactly what needs to be done to your document, we advise you of the hourly rate and provide you with a quote for the total cost of formatting or restructuring your document.
Editing and/or proofreading documents
We charge an hourly rate for editing/proofreading small documents. After we have clarified exactly what needs to be done to your document, we will advise you of the hourly rate and provide you with a quote for the total cost of editing and/or proofreading your document.
Typing or producing a resume and/or job application
Copy typing a resume from a typed hard copy document is charged either ‘per page’ or at an hourly rate, depending on the length and complexity of the resume. Scribing, writing, editing and/or proofreading a resume, or copy typing a handwritten resume, is charged at an hourly rate. After we have clarified exactly what you need, we will provide you with a quote for the total cost of producing, editing and/or proofreading your resume.
Scribing, editing, proofreading and/or consulting for a job application, or copy typing a handwritten job application, is charged at an hourly rate. After we have clarified exactly what you need, we can provide you with an estimate of the cost of assisting you to produce your job application.
How and when do I pay?
- We send your invoice via email. Depending on the type of booking, we may send your invoice either just prior to submitting your completed documents, or just after submitting your documents. Your invoice is always based on the charges outlined in a quote (or amended quote) that has been accepted by you.
- For small bookings we send just one invoice for all work completed. For larger bookings we may send invoices for different batches/stages as they are completed. If your booking is large we will discuss the expected number of invoices/method of invoicing with you prior to commencing the booking.
- Our preferred method of receiving payment is by direct deposit/electronic transfer into our bank account. We also accept payment by credit card, at the quoted extra charge to cover administration costs and bank fees.
- We usually request payment of the full invoiced amount within 21 days of sending you the invoice.
Do you charge GST?
On Time Typing is required to charge 10 % GST for all services provided to clients within Australia.
This is because On Time Typing is an Australian business, GST-registered, and conducts all its work and provides all its services from offices within Australia.
On Time Typing does not charge GST for services provided to clients who are based overseas.
Do you charge a booking fee?
We charge a booking fee for some types of bookings where a booking fee is necessary to cover the extra administration time required for your booking. If there is a booking fee, this will be included in your quote.
Once you have accepted the quote and confirmed your booking, On Time Typing will complete the work required then send you an invoice based on the quote. If a booking fee has been included in the quote it will appear in the invoice.
Confidentiality – how will you keep my information private?
On Time Typing will keep your information private.
- We are committed to maintaining confidentiality and protecting individuals’ privacy.
- Since 2015 we have voluntarily ‘opted in’ to be covered by the relevant sections of the Privacy Act (1988) (Australia). The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) confirmed that On Time Typing “… has chosen to be treated as an organisation in accordance with s 6EA(2) of the Act, and [OAIC] will be including your details in the Opt-In Register under s 6EA(3) of the Act. … The OAIC appreciates your commitment to protecting individuals’ privacy…” Email from OAIC to On Time Typing: 27/1/16.
- On Time Typing is Australian owned, and the Proprietor and our team of audio transcriptionists/typists reside in Australia. Our team members have signed strict Confidentiality Agreements with On Time Typing. Upon request we provide you with a signed Guarantee of Confidentiality.
- Once you have confirmed your booking, we ask you to send us the recordings or documents we need to complete the task. Proprietor Sally-Anne Watson Kane will either complete the work herself or delegate the task to an On Time Typing typist. Your material will be seen only by Sally-Anne and the typist completing the task.
- On Time Typing keeps a record of the names and contact details of clients for our own reference only. We do not share that information with anyone else.
- Sally-Anne Watson Kane and the On Time Typing team of typists carry out their work within a secure office based within their own homes.
- On Time Typing uses a forwarding website to receive your audio files. We delete your files from the forwarding website after they have been sent to us and ensure only On Time Typing has access to your files. Upon completion of your booking, within six months all your information is permanently deleted from all our computers (or upon request all information is deleted prior to that). Any hardcopy information in relation to your booking is destroyed (shredded) within six months with the exception of the basic ‘booking sheets’, quotes and invoices which are kept for administrative record-keeping.
Feel free to contact us via telephone or email if you have further questions about how we keep your information secure and confidential.