Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG) – who we are
Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG) is a group of poets committed to writing, workshopping and perfecting their poetry.
Our members are currently (May 2021): Sally-Anne (facilitator), Seamus (co-founder), Delia, Lenece; and occasional or new members Kellie, Kristen and Neil.
PEGG’s principles to which all members adhere
- PEGG respectfully acknowledges the First Nations Traditional Owners of all nations in Australia; and we pay our respects to the elders of this land, past, present and emerging.
- Poets of all abilities, ages, cultural backgrounds and levels of experience in writing poetry are welcome to join PEGG and attend PEGG sessions. PEGG practices fairness, kindness, honesty and open mindedness during all sessions. Anybody who does not do this will be asked to leave.
- PEGG members may live outside Gippsland.
- PEGG sessions are not ‘poetry readings’ and not an opportunity for people to receive informal feedback about their poems. Rather, they are workshops where we work as a group to critique and workshop one another’s poems, based on the workshopping methods presented in Sally-Anne’s How to edit your own poetry workshop.
- Sally-Anne Watson Kane is the facilitator of PEGG sessions which have been held via Zoom since March 2020 and will continue to be held via Zoom
- There is not always time to edit everyone’s poem at a PEGG session. If someone misses out having their poem workshopped at one session, they will get their turn next time.
- PEGG is a not-for-profit group and there is no membership fee to join PEGG.
How and why PEGG was created
Sally-Anne presented her How to edit your own poetry workshop at the Moe Library on 7 September 2019. Attended by: Ash, Seamus, Kristen and Charles. Feedback: the method of editing your own poetry using the read-aloud workshopping method worked well.
Sally-Anne, Seamus, Kristen and Ash decided to start a new poetry group for workshopping one another’s poems, in October 2019. Ash came up with the name of Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG). Seamus suggested we hold a poetry editing session every three months. Sally-Anne came up with a set of principles for the group and offered to be the facilitator. Everyone agreed.
Thus, Poetry Editing Group Gippsland (PEGG) was born.
The first PEGG session was held 12 pm-4.30 pm at the Moe Library on 9 November 2019. Facilitated by Sally-Anne. Attended by Ash, Seamus and Sally-Anne who workshopped one another’s poems. Another PEGG workshop was held in February 2020. Delia joined the group.
The next PEGG session was held online, via Zoom, in May 2020. Since then, all PEGG sessions have been and will continue to be held via Zoom.
What you need to do if you wish to attend our next PEGG session (poetry workshop)
- Let us know you’d like to come at: Contact us. We will have a chat to you, then the group will discuss your request. We will then send you an email to either invite you to the next PEGG session, or decline your request.
- If you are invited to a PEGG session, you would need to bring: kindness, honesty, a passion for poetry, and an open mind. Oh, and a poem or two.
For information about poetry and poetry editing in general
- We encourage you to subscribe to: Australian Poetry.
- You are invited to ‘Like’ On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreadiing‘s poetry editing page: Poetry Editing and Self-Publishing Australia (PESPA).
- If you would like Sally-Anne to hold a poetry editing workshop for your writers’ or poets’ organisation or network, contact her at Contact us.
Back To Blog