Gippsland workshop: how to edit your own poetry
This workshop is for poets who have written, or are writing, a collection of poems. In this two-hour seminar to be held on 7 September at the Moe Library in Moe, Gippsland, Victoria, the presenter will will show you how to review, edit, punctuate and collate your poems for a perfect poetry book.
Editing your own poetry is completely different from editing, say, a novel or non-fiction manuscript: the usual rules of spelling, grammar and punctuation do not apply. But there are rules and tools that you can use to edit the words, punctuation and layout of your poems to make sure your poetry ‘speaks’ to your audience in exactly the right way – so that your readers understand and , importantly, feel what you want them to during and after reading your poetry.
This workshop will cover:
- 1st segment (60 min): The presenter will take you through the process she has developed for editing your own poetry in such a way that your message, and the way you want the poems read, will carry through to the printed page. At the workshop, she will demonstrate how to do this using her own samples of poetry or willing participants’ poems, and participants will have the opportunity to try editing their poems using this process.
- 2nd segment (30 min): The presenter will give a brief overview of: looking at the structure/order of your whole book of poetry, what to include and the order to place your poems in; the process to use when self-publishing a poetry book; and options such as beta reading, MS appraisal, and using professional editors and graphic designers.
Bookings limited to 6: please book in advance to avoid disappointment.
Details of this workshop:
- Length of workshop: one and a half hours
- When: 12:30 pm on Saturday 7 September 2019
- Where: room 3, Moe Library, 1 George Street, Moe, Gippsland, Victoria
- Presenter: Sally-Anne Watson Kane
- Organiser: On Time Typing
- Charge: free
- Bookings: [email protected]
- Website: https://www.ontimetyping.com
- For more information, call: 0419 337 824.
Presenter Sally-Anne Watson Kane has 25 years’ experience in editing, a lifetime’s experience in writing poetry, and has been coaching poets in editing their own poetry for the last 10 years. Sally-Anne has written several blog articles about the subject: Collaborative poetry editing; and Editing prose compared to editing poetry.
Photo: Darren Kane
Back To Blog