Why network with industry colleagues?
Some of the benefits of investing your time and energy in networking with your industry colleagues are:
- you will learn and keep up-to-date about industry developments
- you will be given opportunities for new clients or business growth that you may otherwise have missed
- you can celebrate your achievements and congratulate others’ achievements
- you will find colleagues with whom you can safely and professionally vent, or seek guidance or assistance
- by getting to know other professionals in your industry, you will be able to refer your clients to colleagues who you know will look after them
- by showing other professionals in your industry that you are professional and good at what you do, your colleagues might refer clients to you.
How I have used my networking to benefit my editing business
Through my membership of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) and its closed group on Facebook, I network, learn and share information with my colleagues in the editing industry, as often as every day.
This gives me professional development, informal mentoring at times, a place for me to provide advice or mentoring, and a place to brainstorm ideas. It is integral to my daily work as an editor and running my editing business.
Being a member of IPEd, and frequently contacting other members, has led to many new training opportunities, client contacts and jobs.
I regularly meet my colleagues in the Gippsland Editors network. Before COVID-19 we met face to face which was a lovely change from my usual method of communicating online and via telephone. When COVID-19 restrictions have ceased we will recommence our face to face meetings.
I attended IPEd’s national conference, Beyond the Page 2019, a three-day national conference., where the networking was as important as the information gleaned from the seminars and workshops. I met face to face with dozens of editors whom I already knew as a result of our online interactions, and was introduced to dozens of new colleagues in the writing, editing and self-publishing industries.
Finally, I often attend online professional development seminars, workshops and networking meetings about editing, writing, self-publishing, small business management and marketing. I don’t only attend them to learn. I also attend these events for the opportunity to meet colleagues within the editing industry or in other industries.
Image by SWK: Easter Festival, Bendigo
Back To Blog