Sally-Anne Watson Kane’s training, professional development, awards
Sally-Anne Watson Kane . 09 Nov 2018 . No Comments
Training and professional development
- Ongoing (2019): RMIT Industry Mentor (editing). Certificate of completion of Mentor Induction (RMIT) awarded 7/3/19.
- Ongoing (2019):Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) mentor within the IPEd mentoring program.
- Ongoing (2019): participation in professional development courses by Writers Victoria, Gippsland Writers, Editors Victoria, Institute of Professional Editors.
- February 2018: participation in Own Voices Forum: Why Writing Matters – social model of disability best-practice language, advocacy and power, presented by Writers Victoria.
- September 2017: achievement of Certificate – Simplified Recruitment Merit Selection Training, Office of the Commissioner for NT Public Employment, Public Sector Appeals & Grievances Review, Darwin NT.
- 2016: Critiquing Manuscripts workshop, Writers Victoria.
- 2008: Completion of Microsoft Publisher – iGain, Victoria
- 2006: Completion of Staff Selection – Interview techniques & interview report writing by NT Department of Corporate and Information Services.
- 2004 (June-November): Tutoring an author in writing, editing and self-publishing while working with him to edit his manuscript for publication
- 1999-2001: on-the-job training/experience in editing and self-publishing (1999 voluntary; 2000-2001 funded by Australian Volunteers International)
- 2000-2004: participation in NT Writers’ Centre events and writing courses.
- 2000: Completion of Tetun Language Course, Timor Aid, Dili, East Timor
- 1995 to 2001: regular attendance at Darwin Poetry Group; regular performance of spoken word at Browns Mart
- 1994 to 1998: completion of units of Bachelor of Arts (English Literature double-major) at Charles Darwin University, NT. High Distinction (HD) awarded for: English Literary History, 20th Century Australian Literature, World Literatures, Modern Literature, Independent Study (William Blake), and Evolution of Humankind and Culture. Distinction or Credit awarded for: Contemporary Fiction, Indigenous Health Issues, South-East Asian Studies 2.
- 1996: on-the-job training (volunteer) in editing, design and self-publishing.
- 1990: on-the-job training in copy writing and copy editing with newspaper business in Halifax, Canada.
Small business management
- May 2018: attendance at Small Business Commissioner Victoria presentation, Moe, Victoria.
- February and March 2018: participation in Financial Security for Small Business – workshops 1 and 2, presented by Latrobe City Council, Victoria.
- August 2017: completion of Business Success two-day workshop presented by Federation Business School, Churchill, Victoria.
- 2015 to 2018: completion of short courses around online marketing, SEOing, blogging, and business management
- 2013 to 2014: Sally-Anne (On Time Typing) presented verbal and written submissions to the Inquiry into Telecommuting and e-Business conducted by the Rural and Regional Committee of the Parliament of Victoria; final report produced and published in 2014.
- 2007: Completion of Promoting Better Business In Our Region – Rights & Obligations under the Fair Trading Act –Consumer Affairs Victoria
- 2005: Sally-Anne presented How to make Your Home Based Business Successful workshop at Business Enterprise Centre, Darwin, NT
- 2002 to 2005: attendance at courses and workshops around business planning, marketing and other aspects of managing small businesses, presented by Business Enterprise Centre, Winnellie, Northern Territory.
- For details of Sally-Anne’s current and previous editing and self-publishing experience, go to: Publications and Editing experience.
- 2019: Mentor Induction (RMIT) award.
- 2017: On Time Typing was a finalist in the 2017 Federation Business School Gippsland Business Awards – Business and Professional.
- January 2016: On Time Typing ‘opted in’ to be covered by the relevant sections of the Privacy Act (1988) (Australia). Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) advised on 27/1/16: ‘[We]… will be including your details in the Opt-In Register under s 6EA(3) of the Act. … OAIC appreciates your commitment to protecting individuals’ privacy. Thank you for adopting the Australian Privacy Principles as your standard when handling personal information.’
- 2013: On Time Typing was a finalist in the 2013 Bendigo Bank Gippsland Business Awards, On-Line Retailing/e-Business.
- 2002: Sally-Anne Watson Kane received the Australian Government Award: ‘The Australian Government expresses its gratitude to Sally-Anne Watson for a valued contribution towards assisting developing countries to reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development’. Award signed by Prime Minister John Howard and Minister for Foreign Affairs Alexander Downer.
- 1991: Sally-Anne was awarded Certificate of Merit – 20/20 English, Year 12, and Certificate of Achievement – 20/20 English, Year 12.
Photograph: Sally-Anne Watson Kane. Copyright image: Sally-Anne Watson Kane
Back To Blog